I make these for Sam and McKinley (aka Wee Little Doggie) and slice them into treat sizes. They can be used for a meal (count the calories) now and then if you want to have them work for their dinner. Most dogs won’t work for mundane kibble.
I mix the dry ingredients together in a Magic Bullet – no muss, no fuss and it is blended to perfection.
- 3 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (I use whey)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- If not using peanut butter as seen below add other flavoring such as
- dried peanut butter powder (1 tbsp)
- packet of meat flavored concentrate powder (watch the salt content)
- Some other flavor your dog enjoys such as carob
- I knew a dog who loved pureed banana, but wet items are added later.
In a soup-size mug:
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tbsp liquid coconut oil or you can use room temperature saltless butter
- 2 tbsp melted natural peanut butter
- If using a flavoring as above instead of the melted peanut butter add a heaping tbsp of unsweetened yogurt for extra moisture due to the protein powder
- Mix thoroughly
- Add dry contents and mix well with a spoon or fork
- If it is too dry add unsweetened yogurt.
Your microwave time may vary depending on wattage. I nuke this for 90 seconds, then turn it out onto a plate to cool, cutting into strips. If I want it fast I shove it in the freezer for a few minutes to chill. The strips become squares stored in a plastic bag in the fridge. This is a “steamed bread” type item. I’ve never met a dog that rejected it (yet).
Sam and Wee Little Doggie are licking their chops just thinking about it. Guess I better get to work!